The Death of Breonna Taylor Has Federal Investigators Turning Over Every Rock…Was It a Setup?

“Say her name.” This has been the cry of protestors who continue to call out the untimely death of Breonna Taylor during a botched police raid. Immediately following the news release downtown Louisville was overrun with hoards of angry people demanding justice. And though time has released a bit of the initial steam and the number of protestors has significantly dropped, there are still a good number of sign carriers waiting for the judge’s gavel to drop.

While the incident is no longer headline newsworthy, the feds have not discontinued their investigation into the matter. They’ve been quietly working behind the scenes.

Rep. Attica Scott of Kentucky said, “We can’t expect people to continue to emotionally and mentally keep moving forward when there hasn’t been any justice yet for Breonna Taylor. We’ve been failed every single time from every level of government, and we need a freaking break.” Scott is considered somewhat of a liberal rebel having been teargassed in the Louisville riots this past summer.

One way or the other the U.S. Justice Department in their ongoing efforts to answer pending questions has widened their field of investigation, vowing to leave no stone unturned. Of the three officers who opened fire in Taylor’s apartment where she was sleeping with her boyfriend, only one has been charged.

But the charge levied against the officer proved only to further ignite the inferno. A grand jury under the direction of state Attorney General Daniel Cameron did not find the man guilty of Taylor’s death. Instead, the officer was merely charged with putting Taylor’s neighbors at risk by recklessly discharging his weapon.

Investigators are not as concerned with the warrant that sent the three men in blue to Taylor’s home. They were doing what they supposed to do. They are, however, interested in how the warrant was attained and who was involved in its issuance. They’re even looking into how the local police responded to the protests following the shooting. They’re looking for cover-ups.

The shooting had flown under the radar for a while as the pandemic took over headlines, but then came the death of George Floyd which prompted Taylor’s boyfriend to let the incident be known on a larger scale. He released the 911 call he had made and all hell broke loose.

Louisville has since banned “no-knock” warrants. They also fired their police chief and hired a new one. Taylor’s mother received $12 from the force, probably in hopes she would go away, and the two officers who yanked their triggers have been fired. The detective who sought the warrant has also been let go but remains under the Justice Departments’ scrutiny for why he wanted it.

In addition to protesters chanting “say her name,” they continue to carry signs which read “arrest the cops.” The investigators say it’s going to be a long, tedious, and methodical process to get to the bottom of things if there’s even a bottom to get to. It could have just been a horrible mistake but this is a determination they have yet to make.

The former head of the FBI’s civil rights unit, Cynthia Deitl, said, “The civil rights investigation will turn the whole situation upside-down. You look at everything — everything the officers ever learned.” She has witnessed enough cases involving police shootings to know that when civil rights violations are entered into a case, the scrutiny becomes intense.

When Taylor’s boyfriend thought someone was breaking into the apartment he fired his gun. Once. Altogether though, 32 shots were fired. Pardon the pun but it was overkill.

The FBI office in Louisville won’t discuss even the smallest of details surrounding the case with anyone. One small leak in either direction could pour kerosene on the fire they’re hoping to extinguish, so mum is the word. No timetable has been set for resolution making it impossible to know if and when the case will ever reach fruition. So for now at least, the gavel still hangs in the air.

What do you think? Was it a setup or a mistake?